[Samba] samba-tool gpo admxload loads into the wrong server

David Mulder dmulder at samba.org
Wed Dec 6 13:40:09 UTC 2023

On 12/5/23 8:45 PM, bd730c5053df9efb via samba wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I had a samba 4.10.8 (DC1) AD DC which was holding all the FSMO roles and a samba 4.18.9 (DC2) AD DC with one way sysvol replication using rsync from DC1 to DC2. Since I'm trying to get the admx files for group policy editor into de DC I succesfully transfered the FSMO roles from DC1 to DC2 with "samba-tool fsmo transfer role=all -U SAMDOM\\Administrator" which I can confirm with "samba-tool fsmo show" and I reversed the one way synchronization with rsync from DC2 to DC1.
>
> Now when I try to load admx files into DC2 with the command "samba-tool gpo admxload -H dc2.samdom.example.com -U SAMDOM\\Administrator" I couldn't find the PolicyDefinitions in DC2's sysvol path but I was able to see it briefly in DC1's sysvol path, I assume it disappears on the next run of rsync. Does anybody know why the admx templates would be uploaded to DC1 instead of DC2 even when I specify the -H parameter with DC2's hostname and what could I do differently to get the templates into the correct DC's sysvol share.

I just skimmed the code, and I think specifying `samba-tool gpo admxload
-H ldap://dc2.samdom.example.com -U SAMDOM\\Administrator` may fix this
(note that I added `ldap://` to the front of your target server). If you
explicitly specify that this is an ldap server, the code chooses that
url, otherwise it sends a request to that server to find a writable
directory server (which doesn't make a lot of sense here, since we're
just writing to the sysvol share).

--
David Mulder
Labs Software Engineer, Samba