[Samba] Question on sysvol replication, GPOs and sysvolreset

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Dec 5 12:27:03 UTC 2023

Hello,

I am wondering whether I have all pieces together for a scenatio with
two DCs and GPOs being used.
Obviously the GPOs need to be replicated between DCs, I use "osync" as
per the samba wiki
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bidirectional_Rsync/osync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround).

In that documentation the sysvolreset command is issued every time on
the second DC after a successful sync.

On the other hand, the page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Sysvolreset
claims that one should never run sysvolreset or even sysvolcheck (!?) in
such a scenario.
So what is the correct advice? I would assume that I do not need to
reset the permissions all the time, so I could safely omit the
REMOTE_RUN_AFTER_CMD in the osync config?

Best regards, Jakob