[Samba] Domain password policy with Samba AD DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 29 19:38:31 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-08-29 at 12:58 +0200, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
> On 27.08.2023 23:45, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Sat, 2023-08-26 at 11:49 +0200, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > > I just wonder why it is not possible to set domain password
> > > policieswith GPO, using the Windows RSAT Group Policy Manager?
> > > For mostothersettings, using GPOs through RSAT works.
> > > For somebody who sets up a Samba AD DC infrequently, this is a
> > > hugetrap. There should be a very visible warning on the AD DC
> > > setup wikipage, that you *must* setup password policies with
> > > samba-tool, ifyouplan to change the default password policies
> > > (which I assume mostwilldo). It should also be very clearly noted
> > > that it is not possible todothis with RSAT (as lots of people
> > > will try that anyway). Thiswarningshould also be displayed on the
> > > Group Policy wiki page. If there areother GPO policies that can
> > > not be set with RSAT, those should alsobelisted.
> > Thanks Peter for reaching out on this,
> > So, the challenge is that in the past, Samba didn't know how to
> > readthese, and the settings were just ignored.
> > Now it can, but given there are now existing domains, which
> > settingshould be primary, the one in the DB or the one in the GPO?
> > That is why the smb.conf setting "apply group policies" needs to be
> > setto Yes if the GPO approach is to be taken.
> > Feel free to ask for a wiki account to point out this if you feel
> > itwould be helpful.
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> Hi folks,
> I've tried to get password policies setting using the Windows GPMC
> from RSAT working. Unfortunately, no change. It just does not work.
> Here is the smb.conf for the AD DC:
> # Global parameters[global]         dns forwarder = 78.110.208.34
>         netbios name = TESTADC1         realm = TESTDOM.TALPS
> server role = active directory domain controller         workgroup =
> TESTDOM         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes         apply group
> policies = yes
> [sysvol]         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol         read only = No
> [netlogon]         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/testdom.talps/scripts
>         read only = No
> The only way to set password policies for the domain, still seems to
> be through samba-tool domain passwordsettings and the parameter
> "apply group policies" has got no effect at all.
> If I create a gpresult.html file on a Windows member PC, it shows the
> settings I have set with the Windows Group Policy Management Editor
> (GPME), but when setting a password for a user in Active Directory
> Users and Computers, the settings are not honored.
> In GPME there is also the folder Samba\smb.conf, where the different
> password policy parameters can be set. No effect at all.
> In practice, this is not a big deal. You probably set the domain
> password policies once, and forget about it.
> I'm not going to waste more time on this. Just use samba-tool domain
> passwordsettings for setting password policies, and forget about
> GPMC.

I would also note that the even better password polices - fine grained
password policies - (password setting objects) were never available via
GPMC and were always directly set to the directory.
We have good tooling for that in samba-tool, plus whatever windows uses
would edit the same LDAP attributes.
Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group