[Samba] Samba shares and samba server residing on different physical machines

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 23 12:21:06 UTC 2023

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:04:31 +0000 (UTC)
E Kogler via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>  Dear List,finally my new Samba 4.17.9 is up and runnig on the
> desired machine with all the FSMO roles transferred and the old DC
> demoted.

Glad to hear it :-)

> What I want to know now is how the smb.conf on my new DC
> should look like.Is it only copy the smb.conf used so far to the new
> machine, does it stay on the old machine ??

When you join a new machine as a DC to an existing AD domain, a basic
smb.conf is created, along with a basic Sysvol. It is all you really
need.

> How do i write the path for the shares ?

What shares ?
It isn't really recommended to have any shares (other than 'sysvol' and
'netlogon') on a DC, you should just use the DCs for authentication.

> How are my users transferred ?
> ( Has it been done with transferring the roles ?) ???

Your users (and groups) are stored in AD, so they should have been
replicated to the new DC when it was joined as a DC. The FSMO roles
have nothing really to do with storage of users and groups.

Rowland