[Samba] DFS questions...

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Tue Aug 22 09:38:38 UTC 2023

Rowland, Kees,

Thanks for the man link. However in 5+ years of samba AD-DC usage I never stumbled over that man page as the defaults have been ok. Only the discussion here on the mailing list about the defaults and triggered my questions on DFS made me aware of these.

I suggest to add
* DC defaults to https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smb.conf.5.html#VFSOBJECTS and add explicitly, that share specific overrides global, and global overrides DC software default,
* a link to same at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server_(Optional) in the section on vfs,
* a link to same at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distributed_File_System_(DFS).

Do you agree? I can change the two wiki pages, but not the man page.

Based on the mails by Kees, I tried to add a DFS share users to my domain.
In [globals] I added
        host msdfs = yes

I added
[users]
        path = /var/lib/samba/users
        msdfs root = yes
        msdfs proxy = \alex\users

I also created directory /var/lib/samba/users.
The share shows up on one DC running 4.17 but does not show up on another DC running 4.16. Unfortunately due to an incompatibility of some other software with 4.17 I haven´t upgraded the latter one. Is there a known bug in 4.16 w.r.t. DFS?

Thanks,
Joachim