[Samba] Get id mapping for builtin users and groups on AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Aug 19 18:50:07 UTC 2023

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:15:34 +0200
Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 19.08.2023 19:50, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 19:33:18 +0200
> > Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Hi Rowland,
> >>
> >> Precisely, I want to check that the the contents of idmap.ldb are
> >> equal on the two DCs, so for example i want that a specific query
> >> for Administrator to both DCs doesn't return different ids. The
> >> idmap.ldb file on the DCs have got different sizes, which
> >> triggered my curiosity.
> > One thing I didn't mention is that there three users/groups that
> > always get the same IDs, these are:
> >
> > Administrator: which always gets the ID '0'
> > Domain Users: which always gets the ID '100'
> > Guest: which always gets the ID '65534'
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about the difference in size, just sync idmap.ldb
> > from the machine that holds the PDC_Emulator role to the other DCs.
> >
> >> I saw a post a while back about that, but I didn't succeed to
> >> locate it.
> >>
> >> I don't use winbindd on the DCs, hence there is no winbind entry in
> >> nsswitch.conf.
> > You must be using winbind on the DCs, the 'samba' daemon starts it
> > automatically and a DC will not work without it.
> >
> >> The reason I bring up this is the fact, that I was in a hurry
> >> setting up a new DC and decommission an old one, and I'm now not
> >> sure that I also synchronized the idmap.ldb file. Otherwise DNS,
> >> rsync and other stuff works without any problems.
> > As I said, just sync idmap.ldb between the DCs.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Thanks for the information. I forgot that winbindd is started
> automatically. It's not every day I've got any reason to fiddle
> around with the DCs.
>
> If I remember correctly, you mentioned that for example the
> administrator can get an id=300000 from one DC and id=300001 from the
> other DC, but I assume that is if you contact the DCs from a member
> server.

It is usually Domain Admins that gets the '3000000' ID. The ID that any
user or group gets on a Unix domain member will depend on what idmap
backend is used, but it is unlikely to be in the '3000000' range unless
you set it that way (not recommended).

> Syncing the idmap.ldb is it sufficient to just make a copy, or with
> backup/restore?

Please follow one of the instructions here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_replication_(DFS-R)

Rowland