[Samba] Updating samba with bookworm-backports

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 10:38:43 UTC 2023

On Friday, August 18, 2023 9:10 AM Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > On August 16, 2023 spindles seven wrote:
> >>
> >> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >>   python3-samba : Depends: python3-tdb but it is not going to be
> >> installed
> >> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> >>
> >> Any advice please?
> >
> > Still can't get samba updated from bookworm-backports because of the above.
> Anyone got any advice?
>
> It smells like you have some packages pinned to particular versions or release, or
> something similar.  Investigate why.
>
> Note: all the helper libs listed (talloc, tdb, tevent) on your system is old/outdated.
> Bookworm ships with those libs taken from samba 4.18, even if samba version in
> bookworm is 4.17, - so there's no need to upgrade these libs together with samba
> 4.17=>4.18 upgrade.

Thanks Michael.   Seems that I still had apt configured to update from your repository as well as bookworm-backports.   Removing your repository from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ folder and removing and re-installing samba etc resolved the issue.

And many thanks for your great work supporting samba users on the Debian platform, very much appreciated.

Roy