[Samba] Rename Computer on Domain

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 14:54:26 UTC 2023

On 26/07/2023 10:32, Paul Littlefield via samba wrote:
> ... and then for future full rename on the domain, we will use ...
>
> net dom renamecomputer -S OLDNAME -U OLDNAME\\administrator%secret newname=NEWNAME account=DOMAIN\\administrator password=topsecret reboot

So, we now have a need to run this on one of our computers.  Alas, I am getting errors on both my attempts.  Here are my commands, run on the DC/AD ...

$ net dom renamecomputer -S FRED -U FRED\\LocalAdmin%localPassword newname=FREDDY account=DOMAIN\\Administrator password=domainPassword reboot

Failed to rename machine: Access is denied.

and

$ net dom renamecomputer -S FRED -U DOMAIN\\Administrator%domainPassword newname=FREDDY account=DOMAIN\\Administrator password=domainPassword reboot

Could not connect to server FRED
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_TRUSTED_RELATIONSHIP_FAILURE

What have I done wrong?  Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,

--

Paul Littlefield