[Samba] Domain Level and Forest Level raise

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 15 04:02:49 UTC 2023

No, this is unsupported in 4.18, and only a preview is in Samba 4.19
(to support real-world and automated testing of the partial features),
the rest of the work will be in a future release.
Andrew Bartlett
On Tue, 2023-08-15 at 08:44 +0530, Anantha Raghava H A wrote:
>     Hi,
>     Setting up a test environment for 4.19 rc2.
>

>     However, can't we raise the lowest
>         functional level higher than 2008 R2 in 4.18.x?
>

>       Thanks
>             & Regards,
>       Anantha
>             Raghava H A
>

>       DISCLAIMER:
>
>               This e-mail communication and any attachments may be
>               privileged and confidential to Exzatech Consulting And
>               Services Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore, and are intended only
> for
>               the use of the recipients named above If you are not
> the
>               addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
> any
>               part of it. If you have received this message in error,
>               please delete it and all copies from your system and
>               notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.
> Internet
>               communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely,
> secure,
>               error or virus-free. The sender does not accept
> liability
>               for any errors or omissions.
>

>       Do
>             not print this e-mail unless required. Save Paper &
>             trees.
>

>     On 15/08/23 7:59 am, Andrew Bartlett
>       wrote:
>

> >       On Tue, 2023-08-15 at 07:34 +0530, Anantha Raghava H A via
> > samba wrote:
> >
> > >         Hi,
> > > We have a test environment with Samba Version 4.18.5 which is set
> > > to Forest, Domain and lowest function Level of 2008 R2. I am
> > > trying to raise the forest and domain levels.
> > > However, when I try to raise the domain level, I get an error
> > > -"ERROR: Domain function level can't be higher than the lowest
> > > function levelof a DC!" and when I try to raise the forest level
> > > I get an error -"Forest function level can't be higher than the
> > > domain function level(s).Please raise it/them first!".
> > >  From this what I understand is we have to first raise the lowest
> > > functional level to 2012 R2 before raising domain level and
> > > finally raise the forest level.
> > > But how do we raise the lowest function level using samba-tool
> > > orActive Directory Domains and Trusts tool? I am not able to find
> > > anyreference or documentation. Or do we have to set it while
> > > provisioning the DC?
> > >

> >       Samba 4.19 will help you a lot with this.  See the details,
> > limitationsand documentation in the WHATSNEW.txt

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions