[Samba] Samba domain time sync woes (Debian Bookworm)

Philippe LeCavalier support at plecavalier.com
Thu Aug 10 18:40:08 UTC 2023

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 1:34 PM Peter Milesson via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 10.08.2023 18:13, Philippe LeCavalier via samba wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 11:16 AM Luis Peromarta via samba <
> > samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> [snip]
>
> The Windows clients could be set to sync with whatever NTP server(s).
> Naturally, it's convenient to set them to sync with a DC in the domain
> automatically. But you could equally well define the NTP servers to use
> with a GPO.

By default, when a Windows client is joined to an AD domain regardless of
Samba or native MS DC, it will sync its time to whatever DC is available so
as long as that DC has time within 3 minutes (ideally tighter than that)
things will work as expected. And this has nothing to do with where or how
the DC gets its own time. From DC to DC that's another story. For me, I
always just use my most local ntp pool servers list rather than task one DC
to rely on another.
Phil