[Samba] Samba domain time sync woes (Debian Bookworm)

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Thu Aug 10 17:52:54 UTC 2023

FWIW, I looked at the settings in our domain (all of which I did myself).
I used to explicitly set up ntp time sources in our network for all windows
workstations before, and I continued to provide these after conversion from
nt4-style domain to samba AD-DC.  The NTP records are provided by DHCP, and
are configured in the GPO, both with regional differences (choosing the local
NTP servers within each location).  None of our AD-DC run NTP server by itself,
but all syncronize to the same NTP servers.

Here's a typical output on a windows workstation:

# w32tm /query /status
Leap Indicator: 0(no warning)
Stratum: 3 (secondary reference - syncd by (S)NTP)
Precision: -23 (119.209ns per tick)
Root Delay: 0.0030693s
Root Dispersion: 0.2549162s
ReferenceId: 0xC0A8B105 (source IP:  192.168.177.5)
Last Successful Sync Time: 10.08.2023 20:42:45
Source: ntp.tls.msk.ru,0x9
Poll Interval: 15 (32768s)

All this is run with ntpsec now (on debian bookworm). Local NTP servers at
different locations also syncronize with each other.

There's no (zero) problems with time syncronization (or AD, or DNS, or GPO or
anything else) across whole network.

FWIW.

/mjt