[Samba] samba4.18.5 + debian 12 + ntpsec

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Aug 9 18:07:12 UTC 2023

On 09.08.2023 19:54, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 09/08/2023 18:44, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:

>> FWIW, I have:
>>   restrict default kod nomodify nopeer noquery limited
>
> On your DCs, you should have 'mssntp' on the end of that line and also
> have a line similar to this:
>
> ntpsigndsocket /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd
>
> Rowland

Hi,

I assume that you cannot synchronize a Windows client with a DC using
the setting "w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier", if ntpsignd and
mssntp is missing. I haven't tested it, however.

Well, you could always setup a GPO synchronizing clients with whatever
NTP servers you want using "w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"server server
server". Maybe it's a better and more fault tolerant solution. But in a
scenario where there's no internet connection, you're out of luck.

After my battle with ntpsec yesterday, I have switched to Chrony
permanently.

Best regards,

Peter