[Samba] Samba domain time sync woes (Debian Bookworm)

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Aug 9 08:26:35 UTC 2023

On 09.08.2023 10:08, Luis Peromarta via samba wrote:
> I had the impression (out of NTP/ chrony config of DCs) they were getting time from upstream NTP servers …
>
> LP
> On 9 Aug 2023 at 09:52 +0200, samba at lists.samba.org, wrote:
>> the DCs get
>> their time from the DC with the PDC_Emulator FSMO role.
Hi,

I have checked up which one of my 2 DCs (Debian Bookworm, Samba 4.17.9)
that has got the FSMO roles. The one with the FSMO roles does not supply
time to the Windows client I checked. Doesn't it depend on which of the
DCs that is listed first in the DNS list? Shouldn't any DC be able to
supply time services, in case other ones are off line?

Well, this is nitpicking, but every bit of knowledge is precious.

Thanks for your comments.

Best regards,

Peter