[Samba] Samba domain time sync woes (Debian Bookworm)

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Aug 8 19:16:18 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

I have been spending the better part of the day, trying to get time
synchronization to a Samba AD DC (Debian Bookworm 12.1) to work. Debian
Bookworm has recently replaced ntp with ntpsec, and time synchronization
stopped working.

I have logged the behavior, and Windows 10 clients first send a Windows
2000! compatible request, and ntpsec chokes on it, and does not respond.
The Windows 10 client times out, and quits.

It's been a frustrating experience, and in the end I just gave up on
ntpsec. I replaced it with chrony, which works.

Just FYI.

Best regards,

Peter