[Samba] "check_account : Failed to find local account" after upgrade to Bullseye

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Mon Aug 7 16:13:33 UTC 2023

On 8/7/2023 11:34 AM, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba wrote:
> Something went wrong on the upgrade of a file server.
> When trying to login
>
> I'm getting "Failed to find local account with UID for
> SID (dom_user[INTERNAL\marco])"
>
> Suspecting I mucked something up with kerberos on this
> machine.
>
> Samba 4.17.9-Debian
>
> Suggestions on where to start?  Thank you.

Follow-up: I needed to install libnss-winbind & libpam-winbind
from backports to get it working again.

I guess a related question is when doing upgrades between
Debian versions, is there an expected Samba upgrade behavior?

I upgraded 5 servers - a mix of member servers and DC's.

On three of them I just ran 'apt full-upgrade' and ended
up with 4.17.9

On one I needed to re-install samba and winbind from backports
to end up with 4.17.9

On one I needed to re-install samba, winbind, libnss-winbind
and libpam-winbind from backports to end up with 4.17.9