[Samba] Raspberry as AD Server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 6 22:39:55 UTC 2023

On Sun, 2023-08-06 at 14:25 +0200, Dirk Laurenz via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>

> i have a working Samba AD with 2 DCs based on Version 4.15.7-Debian
> and
> Debian 10.
>
> The main Problem was Lack of Win 11 Support (beginning with a certain
> update)

Also this misses a pile of important security updates.

> So the goal was to switch to backports and samba Version 4.17.9-
> Debian. But
> this does not work on 32bit Pi OS.
>

> So i tested this weekend the following combination:
>

> Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
>
> Linux sdc01 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr  3 17:24:16 BST 2023
> aarch64 GNU/Linux
>
> Debian 11.7 64 bit
>
> Version 4.17.9-Debian
>
> Newest Win 11 Insider Build 23516 as Domain Member
>

> And….. Voilà it works. (and the latest Bug is already solved)
>

> So time to upgrade my production from 32 bit Debian 10  to 64 Bit
> Debian 11

I would avoid using Samba on 32-bit, if you have the easy option.  We
do try to support 32-bit builds, but all our CI and testing, bar one
32-bit container only added in the last year, is on 64-bit.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions