[Samba] slow samba

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Fri Aug 4 21:31:40 UTC 2023

Hi,

  Just noticing some new odd behavior on our old 4.10.16 samba. Wondering
if you have any ideas: Users started complaining server was "slow", checed
and saw some smbd processes close to 100% CPU. Same process in smbstatus
showed 'auth in progress' as well as the normal user info. Didn't see
anything very interesting in a level 3 log but stracing the process showed
LOTS of access to a file in /var/tmp (eg: /var/tmp/SERVERNAME-044_0) which
has nothing to do with the files being shared, it seems to be a temp file
for samba. Doing an lsof showed that only the "stuck" smbd accessing this
file. The file is binary but seems to contain SHA256 hashes with client
machine names and the servername.

Does any of this ring a bell? I have no idea what that file is but assume
it's related to whatever is going on with the high CPU and the never ending
"auth in progress".

BTW: We will be upgrading this server to 4.18.x on Ubuntu soon but this is
a new mystery.

Thanks,
Greg

--