[Samba] domain with a single dc

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 3 09:36:20 UTC 2023

On 03/08/2023 09:17, Admin(IT) via samba wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am new in this list and I thank you for your reactivity.
>
> I would like to set up an infra samba 4 with only 1DC which will also be
> used as a file server.
>
> I only have one lan with 300 users, a few apps including a mail server
> that authenticates on ldap.
>
>   It is a virtual infra with backup of the whole vm every night.
>
> I would like to keep an infra as simple as possible.
>
>   The question is: is it a good idea to have only 1 DC which does all this?
>

> Thank you for your answers
>
> Philippe

This is a very bad idea, if your DC goes down, you lose everything, the
more DC's the better.
Using a DC as fileserver is possible, but it is so littered with
pitfalls that it is better to use a Unix domain member as the
fileserver. If there were only a few users, then it would be manageable,
but, in my view, 300 is not a few.

Rowland