[Samba] Joining a new Samba AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 2 14:24:27 UTC 2023

On 02/08/2023 15:04, Mark Foley via samba wrote:

> Yeah, those command on my system simply return the 'help' syntax info for the host command.
>
>> I suggest you start Samba, wait a short while and then try again.
>>
>> Rowland
>
> Do you mean to start Samba on the new DC (which I haven't done yet) or [re]start
> Samba on the current DC?

When you 'join' a new DC to the domain, only minimal critical DNS
records are created annd the GUID records are not amongst them. When
Samba on the new DC is started, a script <samba_dnsupdate> is run (it
then runs every 10 minutes after that). This script uses a file
<dns_update_list> to check if various DNS records for the DC exist, if
they do not exist, they are created, amongst these DNS records is:

${IF_DC}CNAME          ${NTDSGUID}._msdcs.${DNSFOREST}  ${HOSTNAME}

So the GUID record possibly doesn't exist on your new DC because you
haven't started it.

Rowland