[Samba] samba and xattr: smbclient allinfo (ok) vs mount.cifs (not showing up)

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Tue Aug 1 16:53:23 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm trying to get xattr name and values rom a samba exported share
through mount.cifs and smbclient.

When I use smbclient "allinfo" does show stream attributes are present
on my test directory, eg:

attributes: DA (30)
stream: [:AFP_AfpInfo:$DATA], 60 bytes
stream: [:com.apple.metadata?_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA], 42 bytes

When a MacOS client mounts the share color tags (which generates these
xattr) are working both read and write.

But when I mount the same share with the same credentials on a linux
client, /proc/mounts:

//cifs1/test /mnt/tmp cifs
rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=lguerby,uid=0,noforceuid,g
id=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.100,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,no
unix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,bsize=1048576,echo_inte
rval=60,actimeo=1,closetimeo=1 0 0

getfattr does not show any attribute on the same directory:

client# getfattr -d -m - .
client#

kernel 6.1.0 from debian 12, smbclient 4.17.9, samba 4.17.9

Samba server is in standalone mode, [global] has the following:

vfs objects = shadow_copy2 acl_xattr fruit streams_xattr
client min protocol = SMB3_11

On the samba server where the test directory is the xattr are there:

server# getfattr -d -m - .
# file: .
user.DOSATTRIB=0sAAAFAAUAAAARAAAAIAAAAJ8uqir4vdkB
user.DosStream.AFP_AfpInfo:$DATA=0sQUZQAAAAAQAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
user.DosStream.com.apple.metadata?_kMDItemUserTags:$DATA=0sYnBsaXN0MDCh
AVZWZXJ0CjIICgAAAAAAAAEBAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARAA==

Any idea of what I should try or look at?

Note : I couldn't find a way to print attribute values using smbclient
(only the names), did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sincerely,

Laurent GUERBY