[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Sat Apr 29 04:17:47 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-28 15:42, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 28.04.23 um 21:25 schrieb Gary Dale via samba:
>> The number of Samba servers seems irrelevant if they are properly
>> replicating the accounts. The issue is more with client machines
>> keeping passwords synced since they don't have Samba running on them.
>
> they don't need to
>
>> There are lots of ways to keep Unix passwords synced since they are
>> basically stored in /etc/shadow
>
> then use one of that many ways and leave us in peace
>
>> In small offices you probably don't want to get too fancy but there
>> lots of very large institutions who use systems that work better than
>> Samba for that.
>
> so use whatever they use if you think it's better
>
>> Then there are cases where I don't necessarily want to keep passwords
>> the same but use the same account name because it's one less thing to
>> remember...
>
> so then simply don't use Samba as AD and sync your users however you
> want - guess what: i do that for many years
>
> summary: nobody knows what your problem is

Pruning my messages and replying to parts taken out of context is
something that you see ideologues do. Since you seem to believe that
your position is the only possible and correct one, and since you want
to be left in peace (so your ideas are never challenged?) then I can
only assume that is what you are.

As for nobody understanding my problem, I doubt that is true. I've
summarized the operational problems with eliminating local Unix
accounts. The Samba position seems to be that is not their concern.
"Everyone should do things the Samba way" is a very un-Unix like position.