[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Christian Naumer christian.naumer at greyfish.net
Fri Apr 28 06:03:56 UTC 2023

Am 28.04.23 um 06:13 schrieb Gary Dale via samba:
> Under previous versions, my Windows account mapped to my Unix account.
> Without user mapping, I can only access Samba shares that Windows-only
> users access through my Windows account. Unix accounts can't be members
> of Windows groups and Windows group can't map to Unix groups either.

Rowland will not like to hear this but you can still do this. Although I
agree with Rowland that you should not. If you use the "normal" Linux
tools you can add users from AD to Linux groups. That only works on the
machine you are doing this but it does work.
You can even (Rowland do not read further) add local Samba users with
smbpasswd when your server is running with AD (I accidently did this
once) and use that to access your server. But makes everything even more
complex and harder to understand the behaviour in my opinion.

> In any mixed environment, it seems that the two systems can no longer
> co-exist. Instead you have two solitudes. If you want to access things
> available to Windows users, you need a Windows account. If you want a
> local Unix account, you can't access Windows shares with it. User and
> group mapping used to bridge that gap.

I think you are looking at this to strict. I have been using Samba for
some time and going to AD simplified things for me. And I have
absolutely no issues with Linux/Windows environment. OK I use sssd on
workstations but the member/file servers use Samba. I log onto my Linux
Computer with my AD account and can ssh, rsync or do smb file access
without having to use a password.

Regards

Christian