[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 27 06:36:43 UTC 2023

On 27/04/2023 01:37, Gary Dale via samba wrote:

> Neither actually addresses the question I raised. Apart from the
> administrative policy of using AD for account maintenance, why not use,
> for example, 100 as the <gid> or 1000 as a <uid>? If I have to set the
> ids manually, I should be able to keep track of them more easily when
> they are smaller numbers....  Or do you need to use large enough numbers
> so that all the ideas you may ever create will be the same length?

If you have read the first page I pointed you to, you would have found this:

As you can see from the above, if you are creating a new domain, you
shouldn't set either the default domain '*' or the 'SAMDOM' ranges to
start at 999 or less, as they would interfere with the local system
users & groups.

It then goes on to say:

You also should leave a space for any local Unix users & groups, so
starting the 'idmap config' ranges at 3000 seems to be a good compromise.

Local Linux users & groups are just that, LOCAL and shouldn't take part
in AD.

> Or why not use autorid?

You can use autorid, but it is really meant for multiple domains, you
cannot use 'winbind use default domain = yes' with it and you will get
different Linux ID's on every Unix domain member you run it on.
If you do not wish to add anything extra to AD, then I suggest you use
the 'rid' backend, you can use 'winbind use default domain = yes' and,
provided you use the same basic smb.conf on all Unix domain members, you
will get the same ID's.

> Another issue that isn't addressed with instructions and an example is
> the adding of a GID to the standard domain groups. It seems to be
> necessary but the only example doesn't seem to deal with it. An example
> showing adding a GID to Domain Users, for example would be helpful.

samba-tool comes with help, try running 'samba-tool user create --help'
or 'samba-tool user addunixattrs --help'

Rowland