[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Wed Apr 26 17:27:00 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-26 11:34, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 26/04/2023 16:24, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>>>

>> Further to above, I tried the testing it suggested and got this:
>> root at transponder:~# wbinfo -g
>> domain controllers
>> domain computers
>> group policy creator owners
>> dnsadmins
>> denied rodc password replication group
>> protected users
>> schema admins
>> read-only domain controllers
>> enterprise admins
>> allowed rodc password replication group
>> domain admins
>> ras and ias servers
>> enterprise read-only domain controllers
>> dnsupdateproxy
>> cert publishers
>> domain guests
>> domain users
>> root at transponder:~# wbinfo -u
>> krbtgt
>> gary
>> guest
>> administrator
>>
>> which clearly are from the domain - I don't have a local user named
>> "gary", for example. However the getent tests only show the local
>> users, which is also what I get when I use it to find domain users -
>> it fails to find them.
>>

> Have you been running commands such as 'getent passwd' and 'getent
> group' and not getting any domain users or groups ?
> If so, this is by design, try something like 'getent passwd gary'
>
> Rowland

No. I am running the tests suggested by the various Samba wiki pages. I
can do a getent passwd <local account> on my workstation and on my file
& print server but I can't do a getent passwd <domain account> except on
my DC. I explicitly showed that in the message before the one you
replied to. I also showed how I can't do a login to a domain account
except on the DC.

This failure to get domain account information seems likely to be at the
heart of the problems I'm having.