[Samba] Get the reverse zone working

matti.kaupenjohann matti.kaupenjohann at fh-dortmund.de
Wed Apr 26 17:24:36 UTC 2023

> Is this a typo, I would expect 0.99.10.in-addr.arpa, based on '10.99.0.2'
yes you are absolutely right and that helped me to find my other typo.
While I was correcting the command:

samba-tool dns add adc01.heim.lan 20.10.10.in-addr.arpa 220 PTR
adc01.heim.lan -Uadministrator

samba-tool dns add dc01.heim.lan 0.99.10.in-addr.arpa *2* PTR
adc01.heim.lan -Uadministrator

I recognized that I also forgot to change the last octet of my ip
address. I think that was the issue on my first approach as well but
sadly impossible to resolve after the reset.

Nevertheless, after deleting the false created zone and creating the
correct one I was able to resolve the reverse  lookup.

After reading two different documentations about the setup, the wrong
set octet is easily overseen in both texts. Maybe a change in the
command or documentation could address this issue?

Thanks so far

Matti