[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Wed Apr 26 15:24:50 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-26 11:05, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
> On 2023-04-25 12:01, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> Both are installed from backports (version 4.17.7).
>>>
>>> /etc/nsswitch.conf reads:
>>> passwd:         db files winbind systemd
>>> group:          db files winbind systemd
>>
>> I had to look up what 'db' was, never come across it before, I do not
>> know who put it there, but I would remove every mention of it from
>> nsswitch.conf
>>
>>> shadow:         files
>>>
>>> hosts:          files wins mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
>>
>> How did 'wins get there ? AD does not use it, so I would remove it,
>> in fact, I would remove the mdns4 stuff as well, leaving just this
>>
>> hosts:          files dns
>>
>>> mymachines
>>> networks:       files
>>>
>>> protocols:      db files
>>> services:       db files
>>> ethers:         db files
>>> rpc:            db files
>>>
>>> netgroup:       nis
>>>

>>> I can't see any mention of any configuration for libpam-winbind.
>>
>> You do not need to configure, just install it and ensure that
>> 'winbind' is in the passwd and group lines.
>>
>>  When I
>>> look at
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_Domain_Users_Using_PAM,
>>> there isn't much there. Under Configuring PAM, it just lists the
>>> utilities but doesn't say what you are supposed to do with them. It
>>> also shows an example for enabling SSH authentication on a Red Hat
>>> system, but I never use password authentication for SSH. I use
>>> certificates.
>>
>> That is the problem, PAM is set up differently depending on the
>> distro, so you have to refer to the distros documentation. However,
>> Debian does most of the required modifications for you, run
>> 'pam-auth-update' to see what is available and if it is already in use.
>>

>>> The man page for pam-auth-update isn't helpful but looking at the
>>> individual /etc/pam.dl files, they seem to have mention of winbind
>>> and kerberos.
>>>
>>> I note that:
>>> root at TheLibrarian:~# net rpc group list -U Administrator  ## same
>>> results from my workstation.
>>> Password for [HOME\Administrator]:
>>> Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
>>
>> It is trying to to connect to a non-existing server on localhost, you
>> will need to use '-S <DC_hostname>'
>>
>>> The username or password was not correct.
>>> Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>>>
>>> but the command(s) work on DC1. Both machines were joined to the
>>> domain and both show in the list of domain computers.
>>>

> While adding the -S option works on net rpc, the similar -s option
> fails for getent commands. e.g.
>
> root at DC1:~# getent passwd HOME\\gary
> HOME\gary:*:3000022:100::/home/HOME/gary:/bin/false
>
> root at TheLibrarian:~# getent passwd HOME\\gary
> root at TheLibrarian:~# getent passwd HOME\\gary -s DC1
> root at TheLibrarian:~#
>
> Simlarly, when trying to login from a domain account I get:

> [...]
Further to above, I tried the testing it suggested and got this:
root at transponder:~# wbinfo -g
domain controllers
domain computers
group policy creator owners
dnsadmins
denied rodc password replication group
protected users
schema admins
read-only domain controllers
enterprise admins
allowed rodc password replication group
domain admins
ras and ias servers
enterprise read-only domain controllers
dnsupdateproxy
cert publishers
domain guests
domain users
root at transponder:~# wbinfo -u
krbtgt
gary
guest
administrator

which clearly are from the domain - I don't have a local user named
"gary", for example. However the getent tests only show the local users,
which is also what I get when I use it to find domain users - it fails
to find them.