[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Tue Apr 25 15:34:17 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-25 07:30, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 25/04/2023 04:56, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>>
>> which is owned by root:Domain Admins. This shows up in Linux as:
>> root at TheLibrarian:~# ls -l /srv/
>> total 4
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root 110512 4096 Apr 23 11:30 taxes
>
> Why is the group being shown as a number rather than by name (which
> ends in '512' so is probably Domain Admins, which shouldn't have a
> gidNumber, it breaks sysvol when using the 'ad idmap backend)
> Is /etc/nsswitch.conf setup correctly ? arre libpam-winbind and
> libnss-winbind installed ?
>
> Rowland

Both are installed from backports (version 4.17.7).

/etc/nsswitch.conf reads:
passwd:         db files winbind systemd
group:          db files winbind systemd
shadow:         files

hosts:          files wins mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
mymachines
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

I can't see any mention of any configuration for libpam-winbind. When I
look at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_Domain_Users_Using_PAM,
there isn't much there. Under Configuring PAM, it just lists the
utilities but doesn't say what you are supposed to do with them. It also
shows an example for enabling SSH authentication on a Red Hat system,
but I never use password authentication for SSH. I use certificates.

The man page for pam-auth-update isn't helpful but looking at the
individual /etc/pam.dl files, they seem to have mention of winbind and
kerberos.

I note that:
root at TheLibrarian:~# net rpc group list -U Administrator  ## same
results from my workstation.
Password for [HOME\Administrator]:
Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
The username or password was not correct.
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

but the command(s) work on DC1. Both machines were joined to the domain
and both show in the list of domain computers.