[Samba] Samba shares and samba server residing on different physical machines

E Kogler igoetrich at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 21 14:11:01 UTC 2023

Hi fellow Members!I'm Systems administrator at a school using SAMBA 4 as AD DC.
As you know, WIN11 is at the doorstep and my "old" Samba4 Server (4.9) doesn't serve Windows Servers (Server 2019) very well,
e.g. the latest issue is that the domain administrator cannot access the GPO's or other informations from the Samba-LDAP (authentication failure ?).
I think that it has possibly to do with the version of kerberos SAMBA 4.9 uses.I installed SAMBA 4.9 on debian using its package.Now I want to upgrade to SAMBA 4.latest manually to be able to use patch-files being always up-to-date.
I was told to install SAMBA 4.latest on a different machine, join the domain, do the provisioning, and shut down the old
server.My question is if I can keep all the shares and the respective data (we have around 1200 users, using about 370 GB) on the "old" machine,
running only the AD DC and the new kerberos version compatible to WIN11 on the "new" machine.
In future, I'd like to transfer SAMBA 4.latest back to the original machine, restoring the status quo.
Any comments on my plans are welcome.
Edgar