[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Christian Naumer christian.naumer at greyfish.net
Thu Apr 13 05:20:13 UTC 2023

Am 12.04.23 um 23:08 schrieb Gary Dale via samba:
> I suppose I should prune the file-server smb.conf of the unnecessary
> parts...
>
> When I log in as HOME\Administrator, I can map the share to a drive and
> disconnect it. However I cannot open the share.
>
> This changed when I set the next-higher directory level to be owned by
> root:HOME\Domain Admins. Now I can see the folders in the share but I
> can't get into them.
>
> After restarting Windows Explorer I was able to bring up the security
> tab but I can't change the permissions. Now I get an ""unable to
> enumerate objects in container" error.
>
> Strangely I can actually get into some folders (owned by
> garydale:HOME\Domain Users) but not others with the same ownership.

I think you are only looking at "normal" ugo permissions here. As
Rowland already mentioned you have the "+" sign when you list files:

drwxrwx---+   4 root root          4096  2. Mär 13:55  Folder

which indicates there are ACLs.

If you run getfacl on that folder you get:

getfacl: Entferne führende '/' von absoluten Pfadnamen
# file: srv/Folder/
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:ing:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:group:ing:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

And you see there can be more here. Although I am not root I can still
see those files/directories.

You should look at this thread here:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2023-March/244607.html

I think you have the same problem.