[Samba] Samba-ad-dc service stops with segfault error

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Sat Apr 8 03:31:32 UTC 2023

Hello Douglas,

Thanks for your quick reply.

To give you more details:

We have a virtual server environment on Nutanix. We have had Samba
4.15.9 running all the while on RHEL 8. Steps followed are as follows.

1. As a first steop, we demoted one of the Samba-DC from the cluster of
5 servers.

2. We shutdown the running server from the cluster, just cloned this VM,
removed Samba 4.15.9 (Basically removed /usr/local/samba folder),

3. Compiled the samba 4.18.1 from source and installed. During the
installation process, ./configure went through smoothly. Make reported
non availability of JSON.PM @INC. We corrected this problem and make
went through without any errors and then run make install. Even make
install went through without any errors.

4. We joined the new VM to running cluster and all replication services,
authentication services, every thing started working normally, without
any error.

5. Like above, we installed 3 servers and remaining two are still with
version 4.15.9.

All three servers that went live with 4.18.1, had this problem all
through last evening. As a first workaround step, we removed the
anti-virus, and some monitoring agents that were installed on these
servers, restarted samba-ad-dc service and kept the server under
observation. We thought these agents may be interfering with samba-ad-dc
service. (We took this step as we had observed similar behaviour when
these agents were first installed). Once these agents are removed, 2 of
the 3 samba servers are running without any service disruption. Whereas
on 1 server, once the service went down with the error shown in log.

Hope the above gives you required information and details.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghav

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail communication and any attachments may be privileged and
confidential to Exzatech Consulting And Services Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore,
and are intended only for the use of the recipients named above If you
are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any
part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it
and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions.