[Samba] Need SMB server / client tuning help

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 7 16:08:04 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 07, 2023 at 04:46:52PM +0530, Swapneel More via samba wrote:
>Although we reached out to Hitachi support, we didn't specifically request
>for the smb.conf file from them. As a result, we're uncertain about the
>status of their Samba version, whether it's in standard or mangled form,
>and whether they're capable of providing us with the smb.conf file.
>
>I was wondering if there are any specific parameters or information that we
>should check from the HNAS samba server side to address the slowness issue
>we're experiencing with a particular share that contains a large number of
>smaller files, apart from the smb.conf file. Additionally, I was wondering
>if you could advise on the specific details we should look for in the SMB
>protocol perspective when analyzing network traffic captures using
>Wireshark.
>
>Although Microsoft provides the robocopy tool, it has been observed to have
>lower throughput when copying a large number of smaller files from the SMB
>share.
>
>I also wanted to ask if increasing the number of connections between the
>client and server and using multiple NIC cards at the SMB client side for
>multichanneling could potentially improve the performance, especially
>copying millions of smaller files from the share. Or are there any
>limitations within the SMB protocol when copying a large number of smaller
>files from the share?
>
>I appreciate any advice or guidance you can provide on this matter. Thank
>you.

Hi Swapnil,

Hatachi bought BluArc, an old SMB2+ proprietary
vendor. The Hitachi box is not running Samba,
but the BluArc code.

I appreciate you raising generic SMB problems
on the Samba lists (it really is the best place
for them) but in this case you really have
to get support from Hitachi.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help.