[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Paul Leiber paul at onlineschubla.de
Mon Apr 3 12:15:04 UTC 2023

I messed up the subject line. I was so sure that I had taken care of it.
Oh well...

For documentation purposes, I resend this e-mail so that it appears in
the correct thread. Sorry for the noise.

On 01-04-2023 20:38, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 01/04/2023 19:10, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>

>> I tried using Samba once rather than NFS but that broke things. >> I keep my mail on the server and Thunderbird didn't work properly.
 >> Reverting to NFS fixed that. Also, Samba shares seemed slower and
 >> less reliable. NFS just works.
>
> I use Thunderbird on a Unix domain member and apart from an annoying
 > Thunderbird bug, everything works okay.

I don't know if this plays a role for this discussion or if it is still
the case, but when using Dovecot as MDA, using a cifs/samba share for
the mailbox is not recommended per Dovecot documentation:

https://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/SharedDisk

Paul