[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sun Apr 2 07:49:10 UTC 2023

02.04.2023 01:17, Rowland Penny via samba пишет:
..
> If you are going to run Samba as an AD DC, then you have to run it correctly and hopefully follow the recommendations. You have said that you are
> running Windows in VM's, can I suggest you run Samba as a Unix domain member in a VM and just use your Samba AD DC for authentication.

It is more practical to run the AD-DC in a VM (or a container) and regular
file server on the usual system. You don't need to reconfigure the DC often,
but it is essential for it to be running all the time. Also a DC alone is
self-contained, the only share it exports - sysvol - can be made a part
of it.  So it is like install and let it do the trick, don't touch it.
A VM can easily be migrated to another physical machine too.

On the other hand, on a regular fileserver, you can add/remove shares,
reconfigure storage, use large storage, and generally more often interact
with whole system.

There's an interesting approach to running an application within a
systemd-nspawn container off the system root, it fits this usage very
nicely and there's no need to administer extra system.  Unfortunately
systemd basically stepped away from ability to spawn containers off
the system root, they've added several checks which prevent this usage.
Maybe there's some other simple way to spawn an app within its own
network and filesystem namespace which can be used here.

/mjt