[Samba] clients not connecting to samba shares

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Sat Apr 1 03:42:31 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-30 03:04, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 30.03.2023 06:25, Gary Dale via samba пишет:
> ..
>> Baokports are for people who need something that the stable version
>> doesn't provide. That's not me. I run Debian/Stable on my servers for
>> a reason. I run Testing on my workstation because I want to help test
>> things. And I run it my new laptop because it requires drivers that
>> aren't available in Stable.
>
> Right now you need a working AD-DC, and actually supported samba version.
> Neither of which is available on debian stable right now without
> backports.

Except I have a working AD-DC even before I updated to the backport
version. My understanding, which I have yet to see refuted, is that it's
only recent versions of Windows 11 that need a newer version than
Debian/Stable provides. Rowland seems to believe that the issues affect
recent Windows 10 updates but mine is 21H2. Does that qualify?

The problems I'm currently having weren't fixed by the upgrade to the
backport version.

>> Debian does update stable when a serious issue is found that can't be
>> patched. However that is a vector for breakage - it wasn't that long
>> ago that an update to ghostscript broke a lot programs in Stable that
>> used it to produce PDFs. We had to choose between a security flaw or
>> a lack of functionality.
>
> Debian does not update samba on stable/bullseye, FWIW.
That would be a violation of Debian policy. Security and bug fixes are
supposed to be ongoing at least until it drops out from old-stable.