[Samba] ldbsearch different available options

Christian Merten cmerten at mathi.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 28 21:43:23 UTC 2022

Hello,

I have two separate Debian Bullseye systems running both
2:2.2.3-2~deb11u2 of ldb-tools and 2:4.13.13+dfsg-1~deb11u5 of
samba-common. I even hashed the ldbsearch binaries and got the same result.
When running ldbsearch on the first host, I get shown plenty of
available options, especially the authentication options are available.
On the second host though, all authentication options are missing.
/etc/samba/smb.conf is the same on both hosts.

samba-tool is also behaving suspiciously on the second host: Running
"samba-tool user list -H ldap://<hostname> --kerberos=yes" works on the
first, but fails on the second with "00002020: Operation unavailable
without authentication".

Both hosts are regular joined domain members.

What might be going on here?

Best regards
Christian

--