[Samba] DC Cloning

David Wells - Alfavinil S.A. dwells at alfavinil.com
Wed Sep 28 17:33:04 UTC 2022

El 19/9/2022 a las 05:30, Rowland Penny via samba escribió:

> On 13/09/2022 21:52, David Wells - Alfavinil S.A. via samba wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm trying to clone a samba 4.10.8 AD DC that is running on a server
>> in my production network into a fully isolated VM where I'm
>> installing an updated fresh copy of the os which has samba 4.15.9
>> with the same IP address and hostname as the production server has.
>> My plan was to make an offline backup of the DC and restore this
>> backup in the new DC but I found the documentation that states
>> "Similar to doing a provision, you need to specify a new DC when you
>> run the restore command. This new DC must not have existed previously
>> in the Samba network". Is there a way to restore a backup into a
>> server without having to rename it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Best regards,
>> David Wells.
>
> Sorry to be a bit late in replying, but I cannot recommend doing this.
> If you have running DC's, then just join a new DC. If you require
> backups, you should backup the domain with samba-tool and then use
> that backup if you get a catastrophic failure. AD is constantly
> changing and if you use a snapshot, you can re-introduce incorrect
> changes back into AD, because the 'cloned' DC will replicate to all
> other DC's.
>
> Rowland

Rowland, thanks for your reply.

I understand this is not recommended for a production network. What I
need is a test environment, totally isolated test environment, to test a
new ad integrated dovecot+postfix setup which will then be put in place
(aka copy the resulting configuration files) in the production network.
I could also clone the vm but I would love to be able test with an
updated samba.

Thanks again!
Best regards,
David Wells.