[Samba] Using Force Group with AD Group

Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG matthias.kuehne at ellerhold.de
Mon Sep 26 06:32:11 UTC 2022

Hello,

force group = DOMAIN\Domain Group

Each operation on this share will now behave as if the connecting user
has this group. So no more group-based ACL. If you want to share certain
folders via group-permission - this gives everybody the group (even
those that do not have them in the AD) and gives them access or denies
it to them. Even more so this group will be the primary group of the
user during the connection.

So everybody can access this share now because it behaves as if the user
has this group.

force group = +DOMAIN\Domain Group

If the connecting user has this group (either directly or inherited) it
will set this to be their _primary_ group -- it does not add any group
to any user at all. It just changes the primary group.

All ACL-checks still work! New files and directories are created with
this group, so other people accessing the share can open them (if you're
using group-based permissions).

Have a nice day,
Matthias.

--
Matthias Kühne
Senior Webentwickler

Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft
Friedrich-List-Str. 4
01445 Radebeul

Telefon: +49 (0) 351 83933-61
Telefax: +49 (0) 351 83933-99

Web     www.ellerhold.de
Twitter www.twitter.com/Ellerhold_AG
Youtube www.youtube.com/user/ellerholdgruppe

Amtsgericht Dresden / HRB 23769
Vorstand: Stephan Ellerhold, Maximilian Ellerhold
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Frank Ellerhold

---Diese E-Mail und Ihre Anlagen enthalten vertrauliche Mitteilungen. Sollten Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Adressat sein, so bitten wir Sie um Mitteilung und um sofortiges löschen dieser E-Mail und der Anlagen.

Unsere Hinweise zum Datenschutz finden Sie hier: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/

This e-mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us and immediately delete this e-mail and its attachments.

You can find our privacy policy here: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/