[Samba] Problems with Samba after upgrading to v4 and changing LDAP-backend from OpenLDAP to 389

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 19:52:14 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-09-21 at 11:57 +0200, Alexander Harm || ApfelQ via samba
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone ran into the same issue and maybe has a
> solution for me. In short:
>
> - we were running SLES 11 with Samba 3.6.3 as NT4 PDC and OpenLDAP
> backend: working fine
> - we upgraded to SLES 15 with Samba 4.13.13 as NT4 PDC and old
> OpenLDAP backend: working fine
> - now we migrated from OpenLDAP to 389 and things start to break
>
> LDAP seems to work in principle "pdbedit -L” is successful. However,
> running “pdbedit -Lv username” returns an error: “Failed to find a
> Unix account for username” and “Primary Group SID: (NULL SID)”.
>
> So I guess the idmap is messed up?

Looping back to the start, I think you a suggested elsewhere in the
thread need to work on this one step at a time.

I agree that getting OpenLDAP back, if a reverse migration is possible,
at least in a lab, might be a good idea, and confirm that the issue
really is with OpenLDAP and not something else.

'Clearly' something is different about the 389 LDAP server vs
OpenLDAP.

Do they both accept the same (non)authentication?

You should be able to debug this with either a network capture, or LDAP
comparison tools.  (I don't know if Samba's samba-tool ldapcmp can do a
good enough job, but try it using the --simple-bind-dn mode).

Try dumping a sorted LDIF of each directory, and compare with diff
even.

Try turning up the log level and see what errors you see compared with
your old OpenLDAP.

Then finally, think about a migration to Samba AD, and how to have your
other applications work with AD or synchronise with it.  This is a much
longer term project.

> Actually I’m not sure how the idmap is stored in LDAP since both
> idmap-OUs look the same to me (empty) on the old OpenLDAP and new
> 389.
>
> Any hints/advice?

Try not to change too much at once, particularly around idmap.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions