[Samba] Problems with Samba after upgrading to v4 and changing LDAP-backend from OpenLDAP to 389

Alexander Harm || ApfelQ alexander.harm at apfelq.com
Wed Sep 21 11:10:15 UTC 2022

Hi Rowland,

I guess mainly for historical reasons and using LDAP-backend for phletora of other applications which rely on “userPassword”. OpenLDAP and support was unfortunately removed from SLES.

Our smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = EXAMPLE
server string = Samba (PDC) auf Brazilia
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap1.example.com
ldap admin dn = cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=example,dc=com
ldap ssl = start tls
ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
ldap user suffix = ou=people
ldap group suffix = ou=group
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://ldap1.example.com
wins support = Yes
name resolve order = host bcast
domain logons = Yes
domain master = Yes
local master = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
security = user
server schannel = Yes
client ipc signing = auto
ldap passwd sync = Only
unix password sync = No
logon path =
logon drive = E:
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m
encrypt passwords = yes
ldap delete dn = no
passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
rename user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -r "%unew" "%uold"
add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd '%g'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -t 0 -w "%u"
set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
netbios name = brazilia
ntlm auth = no

[netlogon]
comment = Netlogon Scripts