[Samba] [EXT] Re: Samba 4 without winbind

Shannon Price pricesw at auburn.edu
Mon Sep 19 19:22:39 UTC 2022

I think the "ad" backend would work for me if I had access to the domain controllers, which I do not. This makes the path out of our antiquated setup much more complicated. It turns out that campus is using an AD-bridge product from BeyondTrust for the last 10 years.

The groups are in AD.  I can query my group membership with wbinfo --user-groups="DOMAIN\\username".  None of the groups are above 999999.  Some are over 930000, however which with the calculation below, puts some over 999999.  I had the idmap ranges lower but the "idmap config *:range" said it was too full when it was set to 3000-7999.  Leaving out the "*" idmap also generated a complaint, since your rid example included it, I left it in.

        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind nested groups = yes
        winbind expand groups = 3

        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config * : range = 3000-60000
        idmap config DOMAIN : backend = rid
        idmap config DOMAIN : range = 70000-999999

--
Shannon