[Samba] Samba 4 without winbind

Shannon Price pricesw at auburn.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:06:52 UTC 2022

The rfc2307 attribute path does seem like it would be a way out, maybe a bit messy. Also we can't write to the user objects in our shared campus domain and there are/were other NIS domains on campus in the past, so we can't make those updates.

What is the most current and thorough IDMAP reference (books or online documentation)?  The ID mapping seems to create local UIDs for users and I assume the UID/GID ownership on the local filesystem uses that. Why wouldn't the UID/GID for a particular user set by IDMAP be different from server to server?  If I move files from one server to another, the ownerships (UID/GID) would be different, right?

--
Shannon Price