[Samba] Samba 4 without winbind

Shannon Price pricesw at auburn.edu
Mon Sep 19 13:36:49 UTC 2022

We are not using Samba AD DC. We have a common campus, Windows AD. In our department we are not Domain Admins. We can create our own security groups, but the users are common and we can't set attributes on the objects (e.g. profile path or home directory).  I can check with central campus. They might already have the rfc2307 attributes added.

Most Samba servers serve file shares which are local to the server, but since we have an NFS infrastructure, Samba servers can also serve over NFS (a double performance hit of SMB + NFS). We avoid this as much as possible, but it is convenient and seems to work well for many years.

Shannon