[Samba] DC Cloning

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 19 08:30:09 UTC 2022

On 13/09/2022 21:52, David Wells - Alfavinil S.A. via samba wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to clone a samba 4.10.8 AD DC that is running on a server in
> my production network into a fully isolated VM where I'm installing an
> updated fresh copy of the os which has samba 4.15.9 with the same IP
> address and hostname as the production server has. My plan was to make
> an offline backup of the DC and restore this backup in the new DC but I
> found the documentation that states "Similar to doing a provision, you
> need to specify a new DC when you run the restore command. This new DC
> must not have existed previously in the Samba network". Is there a way
> to restore a backup into a server without having to rename it?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best regards,
> David Wells.

Sorry to be a bit late in replying, but I cannot recommend doing this.
If you have running DC's, then just join a new DC. If you require
backups, you should backup the domain with samba-tool and then use that
backup if you get a catastrophic failure. AD is constantly changing and
if you use a snapshot, you can re-introduce incorrect changes back into
AD, because the 'cloned' DC will replicate to all other DC's.

Rowland