[Samba] Samba 4 without winbind

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 15:56:51 UTC 2022

Hi Shannon,

It is highly recommended to keep Samba-AD-DC servers separate from Samba
SMB fileservers. In other words you should not serve home-dirs from a
domain-controller.

I would setup new AD-controllers next to the current servers (even more
so because they seem to be SMB-servers as well). Then either so setup
new SMB-servers or you join the SMB-servers as members to the domain.

Is it correct that you serve the SMB home-dirs from a mounted NFS-share?
I would think that could cause problems with ACLs, but probably Rowland
has more knowledge about that.

- Kees