[Samba] Unable to join domain I think.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 14 13:07:42 UTC 2022

On 14/09/2022 13:57, Rob Campbell wrote:

>     I would remove all the 'sss'
>

> This was supposed to be done on the members, dc or both?  This output
> was from a member so I did remove it from all the members.  Changing
> hosts: files dns was supposed to be changed on the DC, right?

My opinion is that if you are running Samba, then you should not run
sssd. I have no problem with sssd, I just do not see the point to it
with Samba. If you use sssd, you just get authentication, no NTLM, no
ACL's, the things you need with Samba.

>      > -----------
>      >
>      > I did fix some things but after fixing I ran it again.  Why does it
>      > think I have no samba file?  Does it have the wrong permissions?
>      >
>      >

>     They are good questions, why can the script not find the smb.conf ?
>     What does 'testparm -s' produce ?
>     The permissions on the smb.conf should be '-rw-r--r--' and owned by
>     'root:root'
>
>     Rowland
>

>   [Wed Sep 14 08:50:39] [root at dc02~$] testparm -s
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Loaded services file OK.
> Weak crypto is allowed
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> realm = HOME.ROB-CAMPBELL.LAN
> security = ADS
> template homedir = /home/%U
> template shell = /bin/bash
> username map = /etc/samba/user.map
> workgroup = HOME
> idmap config * : rangesize = 200000
> idmap config * : range = 10000-9999999
> idmap config * : backend = autorid
> [Wed Sep 14 08:51:10] [root at dc02~$] la /etc/samba/smb.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 596 Sep 13 00:49 /etc/samba/smb.conf

Everything looks okay, so why couldn't the script find the smb.conf file ?

Rowland