[Samba] Samba + Bind + dhcpd - IP address with multiple PTR records

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 13 12:08:54 UTC 2022

On 13/09/2022 12:28, Sebastian Arcus via samba wrote:
> I posted here sometime in November last year about an install where dns
> A records kept on ending up with multiple IP addresses. Rowland kindly
> updated the script found in the wiki at:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records
>
> and that is all fixed. I have just stumbled over a Samba install today
> which has the problem - but the other way. An IP address has multiple
> PTR records - and the current script (0.9.5) seems to just leave them in
> the dns back end.
>
> Is it possible to update the script to also check and purge multiple PTR
> records - like it does with the A records?
>
> Some info about my setup, in case it helps:
>
> Slackware 64 bit - kernel 4.4.217
> Samba 4.15.5
> Bind 9.16.27
> dhcp 4.4.2

That shouldn't be a problem, it will probably follow the same logic as
the A records. There will be a bit of a delay though, I am rebuilding my
domain after it fell over big style.

BIG NOTE: Do not use the Debian 4.16 Samba packages on Raspberry pi OS
32bit, it just leads to segfaults, the new 64bit Raspberry pi OS is okay.

Rowland