[Samba] DNS Help Request

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Sep 10 19:34:31 UTC 2022

On 9/10/22 14:08, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
> dc01 looks to be using 10.0.0.1 for its DNS resolver

Exactly. So when you are registering hostnames to your Samba server, are
you registering with the short name, or with the FQDN?

I set up my BIND DNS server so that every IP address resolves with the
FQDN. I have hostnames for my "real" servers and also for the range
which uses DHCP, so:

[root at wintermute ~]# head /var/named/tc.camerontech.com
$TTL 3H
@       IN SOA  @  thomas.cameron.camerontech.com. (
                                 2022031222      ; serial
                                         1D      ; refresh
                                         1H      ; retry
                                         1W      ; expire
                                         3H )    ; minimum
                 NS      wintermute.tc.camerontech.com.

                 MX      10 mail-east.camerontech.com.
[root at wintermute ~]# less /var/named/tc.camerontech.com
[root at wintermute ~]# head -30 /var/named/tc.camerontech.com
$TTL 3H
@       IN SOA  @  thomas.cameron.camerontech.com. (
                                 2022031222      ; serial
                                         1D      ; refresh
                                         1H      ; retry
                                         1W      ; expire
                                         3H )    ; minimum
                 NS      wintermute.tc.camerontech.com.

                 MX      10 mail-east.camerontech.com.
                 MX      20 mail-west.camerontech.com.

$ORIGIN tc.camerontech.com.

wintermute	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.1
molly   	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.2
neuromancer	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.3
case		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.4
printer		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.5
east-wing	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.6
neuromancer-ilo	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.7
molly-ilo	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.8
brynna		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.9
brynna-pixel	IN	1H	A	172.31.100.10
filer		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.11
host12		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.12
host13		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.13
host14		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.14
host15		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.15
host16		IN	1H	A	172.31.100.16

I also have reverse set up:

[root at wintermute ~]# head -30 /var/named/100.31.172.in-addr.arpa
$TTL 86400

@       IN      SOA     wintermute.tc.camerontech.com.
thomas.cameron.camerontech.com. (
                         2022031222	; serial number YYMMDDNN
                         28800           ; Refresh
                         7200            ; Retry
                         864000          ; Expire
                         86400           ; Min TTL
			)

                 NS      wintermute.tc.camerontech.com.

$ORIGIN 100.31.172.in-addr.arpa.

1	PTR	wintermute.tc.camerontech.com.
2	PTR	molly.tc.camerontech.com.
3	PTR	neuromancer.tc.camerontech.com.
4	PTR	case.tc.camerontech.com.
5	PTR	printer.tc.camerontech.com.
6	PTR	east-wing.tc.camerontech.com.
7	PTR	neuromancer-ilo.tc.camerontech.com.
8	PTR	molly-ilo.tc.camerontech.com.
9	PTR	brynna.tc.camerontech.com.
10	PTR	brynna-pixel.tc.camerontech.com.
11	PTR	filer.tc.camerontech.com.
12	PTR	host12.tc.camerontech.com.
13	PTR	host13.tc.camerontech.com.
14	PTR	host14.tc.camerontech.com.
15	PTR	host15.tc.camerontech.com.
16	PTR	host16.tc.camerontech.com.

The nice thing about setting this up is that I don't have to interject
Samba into my setup. I just use existing DNS. If I add a new "real"
server, I just edit my zone files and restart BIND. Then when I add a
new server, the IP address and hostname both resolve flawlessly.

I hate to say it, but it might be worth setting up DNS in your
environment instead of trying to get Samba to do it. I have multiple
services running in my home lab which *can* run DNS. I have Red Hat
Satellite server, I have Samba, I have Cobbler, etc. All of them *can*
run my DNS service, but I determined some time ago that that way lies
madness. I set up my DNS once, and every once in a *great* while I have
to add host names, but it Just Works(TM). Trying to let something that
is not a DNS server run DNS always seems problematic to me.

Just my two bits. It may be something as simple as needing to register
your hosts with Samba using the FQDN and that might solve it. I have
never messed with Samba's DNS management, so I am not sure.

I wish I had a more helpful answer, bud, sorry.

Thomas