[Samba] Group-based access instead of user-based?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 9 15:38:51 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-09-09 at 16:34 +0200, tom uijldert via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Using the current V4.15.9-Ubuntu, a Windows client can access the
> top-level share, create a directory and browse there but not create a
> file in the subdir.
>
> In the original setup (V4.13.7-Ubuntu), this was no problem and files
> and subdirs could be copied willy-nilly.
>
> After rigorously hunting for differences in the setups I couldn’t
> find any.
>
> So is there any changed default behaviour that I missed?
>
> If not, suggestions on what to check?
>

> Please find details below.
>

> TIA,
>
>     Tom.
>

> Original setup: Ubuntu server 20.04 with smbd (etc) V4.13.7
>
> New setup: Ubuntu server 22.04 with V4.15.9.
>

> Joined to our domain as member server, all domain users are mapped to
> 1 unix account/group.

It would be better to recreate the group in AD (or use Domain Users
which all domain members are members of), delete the Unix group and
then use vfs_acl_xattr and set the permissions either from Windows od
with setfacl.

It would also help if you posted your smb.conf (that way we can confirm
how you are running Samba).

Rowland