[Samba] Samba unable to find SRV record during join

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Wed Sep 7 19:17:23 UTC 2022

William Edwards via samba schreef op 2022-09-07 20:39:
> Rowland Penny via samba schreef op 2022-09-07 19:59:
>> On Wed, 2022-09-07 at 19:39 +0200, William Edwards via samba wrote:
>>> Although the join succeeded, no replication happens. Also, on the
>>> existing DCs, the following errors are logged when using several
>>> `samba-tool` commands such as `dns zonelist`:
>>>
>>>      Cannot reach a KDC we require to contact (null) : kinit for
>>> Administrator at CYBERFUSION failed (Cannot contact any KDC for
>>> requested
>>> realm)
>>
>> That is definitely a dns problem and you posted this as part of your
>> join command in your intial post:
>>
>> samba-tool domain join cyberfusion.cloud DC -k yes
>>
>> Which would make your realm CYBERFUSION.CLOUD , so why are you getting
>> 'ADMINISTRATOR at CYBERFUSION' above ? Hopefully it is just a
>> cut&paste/typo error.
>>

> I used the down-level logon name (DOMAIN\username) notation. I wasn't
> aware that's not supported. I do not get these errors when using the
> User Principal Name.
>
>> As for upgrading, I would hold off on that, it seems that there may be
>> problems with the Debian Samba packages when used as a DC.
>
> Could you elaborate? I wasn't able to find such reports.

I might have answered my own question. I installed Samba and all its
dependencies[1] from bullseye-backports. Having done this, the `host`
command, which is provided by dnsutils, fails with:

     host: error while loading shared libraries:
libdns-9.16.27-Debian.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I fixed this by re-installing bind9-host from stable instead of
bullseye-backports. That does not fix the joining issue, by the way.

Am I supposed to install all of Samba's dependencies from
bullseye-backports, or just Samba? Or do you not recommend using
bullseye-backports at all? If so, does the Samba team officially
recommend using Louis's repository to get recent versions?

[1]:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distribution-specific_Package_Installation#Debian

--
With kind regards,