[Samba] Samba unable to find SRV record during join

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 7 14:42:45 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-09-07 at 16:30 +0200, William Edwards via samba wrote:
> I just found out about the --server parameter to `samba-tool domain
> join`. I set it to the DNS name of one of the existing DCs, and the
> join
> succeeded.

I said it was dns.

> I'd like to make sure that I understand the option description,
> though,
> which is:
>
>      DC to join
>
> Does this mean the DC to join is hardcoded instead of looked up with
> DNS? That would explain why the join succeeds now, but not why the
> original issue occurred.

The join is supposed to find the best DC to use during the join and it
looks like your new DC couldn't find a DC to join to. Using '--server'
tells the join to use that DC, so the question has to be, did your
/etc/resolv.conf look like this:

search <YOUR_DNS_DOMAIN>
nameserver <AN_AD_DC_IP>

Does your new DC have a fixed IP ?
Is its IP info in /etc/hosts ?

Have you updated your new DC's /etc/resolv.conf to now use its
ipaddress as its nameserver ?

Rowland